June 02, 2021
Over the Memorial Day weekend, Keep Norfolk Beautiful held a Great American Cleanup event called Beachside Litter Challenge in Norfolk, Virginia. The purpose is to love our beaches by putting litter in its place. Picking up litter and caring for our environment we can make our world a better place for all of us.
Beachside Litter Pickup
As a conservationist and a lover of our environment, especially beaches since I spend a bit of time on the beaches photographing sunrises and shorebirds, I decided to participate in this year’s Beachside Litter Challenge held by Keep Norfolk Beautiful.
My spouse and I spent an hour on the beach at the Ocean View Fishing Pier in Norfolk, Virginia picking up trash with the grabbers and trash bags provided by Keep Norfolk Beautiful. In our 3 hours of collecting trash off the beach and in the dunes area we collected 3 white trash bags of litter. Some of the litter we picked up included plastic wrappers from food products, clothing, empty beer bottles and beer cans, plastic straws, eye goggles, broken toys, old beach towels, plastic water bottles, plastic grocery bags and lots of random small pieces of litter.
Ocean View Fishing Pier
Ocean View Fishing Pier overlooks the scenic Chesapeake Bay. It is located in the town of Ocean View, Norfolk, Virginia. Ocean View Fishing Pier is the longest free-standing fishing pier in North America. This fishing pier is 1690 feet long and was built in 2005. A bait house, restaurant, game room and restrooms are located on the Ocean View Fishing Pier.
Caring For Our Environment
It felt great to be outside in nature and taking care of our environment and making the beach safer especially for the birds that use the beach as their habitat. Making a difference in my community is important to me as an individual and as a conservation photographer.
I urge you to spend an hour picking up litter in your area to help make our environment a better place for us and our wildlife.
Thank you for reading my Field Notes blog , and I hope you will share this post with others.
Let’s protect our wildlife and nature!
All the very best,
Copyright © 2021 Lori A Cash
- 2022 Wall Calendars at ZazzleSelection of 2022 wildlife and nature wall calendars created and designed by Lori A Cash Conservation Photography available for purchase at Zazzle.
- Backyard Butterfly Garden TipsTips for planting and creating a backyard butterfly garden to attract butterflies to your yard by using host plants and nectar plants blog post by Lori A Cash Conservation Photography.
- Photographing the Sunrise At Buckroe BeachAugust 18, 2021 Recently, I spent the morning in the field at Buckroe Beach photographing the sunrise. As usual I arrive around 45 minutes prior to sunrise at my location. I love to photograph the gorgeous colors of civil twilight. Often this period before sunrise, provides some of the best colors for your landscape photos.Continue reading “Photographing the Sunrise At Buckroe Beach”
- Images Published in 2022 Our Common Agenda by Virginia Conservation NetworkAugust 12, 2021 Virginia Conservation Network (VCN) released its annual policy Briefing Book called Our Common Agenda. The 2022 annual publication of Our Common Agenda has my red fox kit as the cover photo. My image is the cover photo as the result of being the winner of the 2022 Our Common Agenda Photo Contest.Continue reading “Images Published in 2022 Our Common Agenda by Virginia Conservation Network”
- American Bullfrogs at the Norfolk Botanical GardenAugust 9, 2021 Capturing images of American bullfrogs at the Norfolk Botanical Garden is one of my favorite things that I like to do in the spring and summer. Last year, I discovered a new love for photographing these adorable frogs. I spent a lot of time last summer taking pictures of the bullfrogs inContinue reading “American Bullfrogs at the Norfolk Botanical Garden”
behind the scenes bird conservation birds brown pelicans butterflies Chesapeake Bay conservation cover photo crabbing boat fox kits fox pups Hampton Roads Hampton Roads Community Hampton Roads conservation photographer Hampton Roads Virginia Hampton Roads wildlife photographer Hampton Virginia in the field local event Lori A Cash monarch butterfly nature Norfolk Botanical Garden Outer Banks of North Carolina photography photo story Pied-billed Grebe red foxes red fox family red fox kit Save The Seabirds Week Seabirds sunrise Virginia Virginia bird conservation Virginia conservation Virginia Conservation Network Virginia conservation photographer Virginia wildlife conservation Virginia wildlife photographer welcome wildlife wildlife conservation wildlife photography yellow-crowned night heron